9.1.11

Glass Course: failures, triumphs and burns


For a couple of years now I have wanted to take the Glass Course at the Harbourfront Centre (it's practically my second home in Toronto) and I finally got my wish December last year (thanks Tim xo). It was tough and physically challenging but worth the burns and blisters. Pictured above are the first two items I made. The obligatory paper weight and a bud vase. I learnt how to create bubbles in pieces and then we got into glass blowing.

The above picture is of two Christmas ball decorations I made in class using the glass blowing techniques and colour application. The picture of me is evidence of a beautiful bell jar I wanted to make instead a bowl that everyone else in class was making. Unfortunately close to the end of finishing my piece, it fell off in the glory hole... I was so upset and frustrated, but I got to have another go at the end of the day.


The second time I had a lot more help from our teacher (thanks Clayton!), but alas the same thing happened. On the left is the bloody hot glory hole and on the right is my mashed up bell jar. The black ball was attached to the round end of the jar. Oh well, it was still fun and I would do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment