12.1.11

Ceramic Installation

One of many things I have hanging on the walls in our condo is a framed mini installation of tiny ceramic vessels (about 1"w x 1/2" h) which I made by 'throwing off the hump', glazing and then filling some with bits of broken green and blue glass (thanks SarahA!). The glass melts in the kiln and creates a really interesting look where it's cracked underneath but smooth and perfect on top. So easy to make but has a really nice visual appeal. I want to make another one!

3 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! I love the choice of colours. If you don't mind me asking, what type of clay did you use, and did you use any other type of glaze?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for your comment! I used stoneware clay and I used a cone 6 glaze in blue and a few have some black. The really blue ones had broken pieces of glass in them that melted into a pool in the kiln. I'm really happy with it. I made some more out of porcelain, but they come out of the kiln a greyish colour and the glaze was a baby blue, but still pretty. Are you a ceramic artist?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! It has inspired me! I would love to see the porcelain works. Have you ever tried working with lace impressions? I have done a little bit of ceramics through university and shown them in a couple of galleries, but I am just starting out!

    ReplyDelete